Archive for the ‘Small Business Server 2011’ Category

I’ve been meaning to write this post for a while now but somehow never found the time to do it.

When migrating from SBS2008 to SBS2011 I have come across this issue a number of times now and each time I seem to get caught up in the moment and try to find another way of resolving this issue.

Lot’s of posts about this being a 3rd party connector that has been setup for a photocopier or mail service of some sort etc etc.  None of which is correct.

It’s plain and simple, this is a foreign connector in SBS 2008, and contrary to other posts, it does seem to be there by default, I have checked vanilla SBS 2008 installs and those that have been migrated. I even installed a fresh SBS 2008 in to a virtual machine and it was there too.

This can be confirmed by launching the Exchange Management Shell and running Get-ForeignConnector and if you want more details run Get-ForeignConnector | fl

It’s also part of the Migration guide from SBS 2008 to SBS 2008.

It’s purpose…to receive email addressed to companyweb.  If you check the Exchange Management Console on an SBS 2008 server you will see it listed under Organisation Configuration > Hub Transport > Remote Domains you will see the Windows SBS Company Web Domain.  This is the matching address space.

The purpose…to drop any emails destined for companyweb to a folder ready for pickup by Sharepoint.  By Default this will be C:\Inetpub\mailroot\drop

This functionality is not available in SBS 2011 (or isn’t as far as I can tell) therefore before migration you will need to remove the foreign connector.

To do this, run the following command Remove-ForeignConnector –Identity “Windows SBS Company Web Connector SERVER2008” and then select Y at the confirmation prompt.

Advertisements

I found myself today in a situation where I hadn’t completely finished an installation of SBS2011 and wanted to finish it remotely.

Without really giving it too much thought I had convinced myself I could simply connect to the server remotely using RWW.

Unfortunately I hadn’t yet got around to installing a 3rd party trusted certificate, which kind of complicated the issue somewhat.  Upon connecting to RWW and clicking the connect button underneath the SBS server name I was rudely presented with this error.

 

Annoyed with myself for not doing enough so that I could complete this job and completely forgetting to install the CA certificate I searched for a way to resolve this.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to look too far.

When connecting to RWW, listed under Shared Folders is the default Public Share as illustrated below.  Click this link, in the new window that opens select Public and then Downloads.  Under here you will see Install Certificate Package.zip put a check box next to this and then select download.

Once downloaded, extract the zip file and then launch the InstallCertificate.exe file.  Select Install Certificate on my computer and click install.

Once done, close and re-launch internet explorer and re-connect to RWW.  You will now find you can successfully connect to remote computers.

The other alternative is to purchase a 3rd party trusted certificate from http://www.exchangecertificates.com that will remove these certificate errors completely.